As one of the nation’s largest not-for-profit Medicare Advantage plans, serving more than 200,000 members in California, SCAN Health Plan has been a mission-driven organization dedicated to keeping seniors healthy and independent for over 40 years. SCAN employees are passionate about what they do, and understand that success is based on achieving the mission. Employees are afforded with the training and tools necessary to do their jobs and are rewarded for their efforts and recognized as experts in their fields. To learn more, visit scanhealthplan.com or follow us on social media: LinkedIn; Facebook; and Twitter.
The Legal Counsel is a member of SCAN' s Legal Department and reports to the General Counsel. The Legal Department partners with SCAN's business leaders to foster legal and ethical behaviors in achievement of SCAN’s mission of keeping seniors healthy and independent. The Legal Counsel provides advice and counsel on a broad range of health care and business-related issues.
Work collaboratively with members of the legal department to fulfill the legal, contractual, and regulatory obligations of the organization.
Collaborate with the Legal team to provide well-informed and expert legal advice and guidance related to a variety of matters including contracts, response to regulatory action, compliance activities, and litigation.
Monitor and research legislative and regulatory issues and trends of interest to the company. Anticipate changes impacting operations, notify management and recommend preparatory actions.
Work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong relationships with SCAN business units.
Provide full range of legal counsel and services, including review and preparation of vendor and provider contracts; provide guidance to business units to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws; and assist with arbitration, litigation, and pre-litigation matters as needed.
Coordinate and oversee the engagement of external counsel.
Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Required: Law Degree from an ABA accredited law school and California Bar membership.
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience in a law firm, government agency and or health care company legal department.
- Familiarity with Medicare Modernization Act, Knox Keene Health Care Service Plan Act, HIPAA, Stark laws, False Claims Act, and other relevant laws applicable to health care preferred.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multitask.
- Ability to appropriately maintain confidentiality.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills required.
- Personal presence and the professional demeanor needed to work with all levels of individuals throughout the organization.
- The ability to collaborate as team player and to adapt to change and master new skills and assume additional responsibilities as needed.
- Practical and business orientation with the ability to quickly integrate into partnerships and corporate cultures.
- Hardworking with a "roll up your sleeves" attitude.
- Mission driven and ethical.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
To ensure a healthy and safe work environment, all SCAN employees will be required to be fully vaccinated by January 1, 2022. Generally, you are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving the last dose, as recommended by the manufacturer, of a vaccine that has been authorized by the FDA for use in the United States, including vaccinations that have been approved pursuant to an Emergency Use Authorization. If fully vaccinated outside of the United States, the vaccination must be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO). If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical reason or sincerely-held religious belief, you may request an accommodation to this requirement by contacting COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
What's in it for you?
- A competitive compensation and benefits program
- An annual employee bonus program
- Robust Wellness Program
- Generous paid-time-off (PTO)
- Ten paid holidays per year, plus 1 additional floating holiday
- Excellent 403(b) Retirement Saving Plan with employer match
- Robust employee recognition program
- Tuition reimbursement
- An opportunity to become part of a team that makes a difference to our members and our community every day!
We're always looking for talented people to join our team! Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply now!
At SCAN we believe that it is our business to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects our community through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more.
SCAN is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Individuals seeking employee will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A background check is required.
To apply visit: Legal Counsel | Job Opportunities (ultipro.com)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)