Christopher M. Patti Legal Fellow
Position Base: Oakland
Location: UCOP - Franklin Building
UC OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. Learn more about the UC Office of the President
UC Legal - Office of General Counsel is located in Oakland, California, and is staffed with system-wide legal experts who provide an extraordinary range of legal services to the University of California (UC) and its Office of the President, its 10 campuses and 5 medical centers, as well as its reserves and field stations. For more information, visit https://www.ucop.edu/uc-legal/.
The UC Legal - Office of General Counsel (OGC), in partnership with Berkeley Law, offers a one-year full-time fellowship, commencing on or about September 2024, to a recent Berkeley Law graduate interested in exploring a career in public service. The Christopher M. Patti Legal Fellowship is named for Berkeley's esteemed former Chief Campus Counsel, Christopher M. Patti. Chris was a member of OGC for more than 27 years, and served as Berkeley's Chief Campus Counsel for the last seven years of his life. He was a constitutional law expert, known for his integrity and keen insights in the face of complex legal challenges. Chris was deeply committed to issues of equity and diversity, including access to higher education for all underrepresented minorities and the advancement of LGBTQ rights. He was a problem-solver and exceptional counselor - his colleagues and people across the University prized Chris's perceptive and pragmatic advice. In August 2017, Chris tragically passed away in an accident during one of his beloved biking excursions. The Christopher M. Patti Legal Fellowship Program provides a unique opportunity for a new lawyer to gain experience in the broad spectrum of issues facing public and non-profit entities. UC, as a constitutionally created public institution, employs over 100 attorneys systemwide who provide services from compliance counseling to litigation. Specific areas of practice include affirmative action, constitutional law, contracts, employment, free speech, governance, intellectual property, international research affiliations, public-private partnerships, public and private research collaborations, real estate developments, sexual violence and sexual harassment, student/faculty/staff affairs, and UC's unique status as a constitutionally protected public corporation. Under the supervision of OGC attorneys, the Fellow will conduct legal research; draft documents; attend client meetings, hearings, and negotiations, as appropriate and possible; and participate in other activities intended to expose the Fellow to the practice of law and substance of OGC's specialties. The Fellow would have the opportunity to work both at OGC and at the UC Berkeley Office of Legal Affairs.
90% Client Service
1. Under the supervision of OGC attorney(s), learns collaborative and consultative practices to begin establishing relationships with key internal (local and system-wide) and external constituencies (e.g., the public, government agencies, outside counsel, et cetera).
2. Becomes skilled at providing counsel to UC clients on standard to moderately complex matters.
3. Utilizes best practice research methods and effectively communicates advice- both in writing and verbally.
4. Learns to assess and manage priorities effectively.
5. Effectively consults with supervisor regarding development and presentation of alternative approaches for addressing an issue, to include risk analysis.
6. Ensures accurate record keeping in compliance with OGC data quality protocols.
7. Complies with delegations of authority for committing University funds.
1. Practices OGC's established Values for Principles of Community: collaborative, supportive, respectful of differences, and committed to fairness and diversity in all interactions, both within and outside the team.
2. Learns to provide clear expectations and mentors legal support staff to meet expected levels of productivity and accuracy.
3. Supports OGC's commitment to diversity efforts - participates in events and complies with University efforts such as diversity awareness training.
1. Interest in pursuing a career with public or non-profit entities, possibly in the field of higher education. Interest in promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion, and California public policy. Excellent academic credentials. Keen analytical skills
2. Ability to gain skills in collaboration and creative thinking to effectively partner with other attorneys and a diverse spectrum of clients. Ability to work collegially and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented, fast-paced work environment.
3. Basic understanding of legal issues in a University counsel setting.
4. Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills, including strong ability to actively listen to understand and differentiate critical aspects of issue, prior to offering counsel. Aptitude for communicating persuasively verbally and in writing. Demonstrated written communication skills and ability to create and deliver effective materials and/or presentations appropriate to a particular audience.
5. With mentoring in this Fellowship, the capacity to develop into the kind of exceptional counselor and lawyer that Chris Patti exemplified.
6. Ability to acquire skills to draft accurate and complete legal documents, such as pleadings, legal responses, affidavits, position statements and briefs.
7. Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and tact when handling sensitive or potentially sensitive issues.
8. Demonstrated commitment to the highest ethical standards.
Education: Required - Must have received a J.D. from Berkeley Law within the past 3 years, including 2024 (2022 to 2024).
License/Certifications: Required - Current member in good standing of the California Bar Association or anticipated to sit for the exam in July 2024 or later, with the prior approval of OGC.
This position has been approved for a hybrid work arrangement. The person hired must reside in California and will be required to report to work on-site at UC's Office of the President located in Oakland, CA at least two days per week.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Job Title: Counsel 1
Salary Grade: Grade 23
Payscale: $105,000 - $116,000 annual
The University of California, Office of the President, is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The full salary range shows the growth potential for this position and the pay scale is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position.
Benefits: For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: Benefits of Belonging
HOW TO APPLY
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE
The first review date for this job is September 6, 2023. The position will be open until filled.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. Background check process at UCOP
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. UC Smoke & Tobacco Free Policy
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. UC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. EEO/AA Employer UC Nondiscrimination Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: Accessibility or email the Human Resource Department at: email@example.com.
Please apply through this link: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucop/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=19&JobOpeningId=57438&PostingSeq=1